Upcoming Event Alert for U.S. Citizens: September 28, 2018
Event: A coalition of opposition parties plan to hold a political rally on Boulevard Triomphal in Kinshasa outside the main soccer stadium on Saturday, September 29 at 10:00am. Rallies of this nature are a normal part of the political process and will become more frequent as DRC moves closer to the December elections. The rally is likely to draw large crowds which can be unpredictable.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid large crowds and areas of the rally. There is an increased potential for crowds in the vicinity of the airport and leading toward downtown Kinshasa.
- Review the country page and remain alert for potentially dangerous situations.
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for the DRC.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa, located at 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, the Consular Section at tel. +243-097-261-6144 or +243-097-261-6145 (Do not dial the zero when calling from abroad) from Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. and Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 081-556-0151.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.