Upcoming Event Alert for U.S. Citizens: October 25, 2018
Event: On Friday, October 26, a political march is expected to take place in Kinshasa, organized by opposition groups. The march will begin at roughly 1000 at Echangeur de Limite. The group will march to CENI, via Boulevard Lumumba, Boulevard Sendwe, Boulevard Triumphal, Avenue du 24 Novembre, and Boulevard du 30 Juin. The march will likely conclude at 1500. Additionally, on Saturday October 27, the DRC’s ruling party, Common Front for Congo (FCC), will hold a political rally. The rally is tentatively scheduled to take place from 1000 to 1600 at Stadium Tata Raphael.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid large crowds and areas of the march and rally.
- Review the country page and remain alert for potentially dangerous situations.
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for the DRC.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa, located at 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, the Consular Section at tel. +243-097-261-6144 or +243-097-261-6145 (Do not dial the zero when calling from abroad) from Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. and Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 081-556-0151.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.