The U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa urges U.S. citizens to maintain vigilance and continue monitoring media for updates. U.S. government employees are allowed movements within the Kinshasa neighborhood of Gombe from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. due to a decrease in reports of unrest throughout the city over the past 24 hours. The situation outside of Gombe is fluid, and sporadic clashes remain possible.
Security forces have established checkpoints and military deployments and have initiated aggressive ID checks and car searches in certain areas of Kinshasa. Carry identification with you in case you encounter a checkpoint.
The U.S. Embassy is expected to remain open on Thursday, December 22, and Friday, December 23.
U.S. Citizens should:
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Be sure to have extra food, water and medication on hand.
- Establish a communication plan with your friends and family, so they know when to expect to hear from you.
Always exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security. U.S. citizens should review the Travel Warning for the DRC and remain alert for potentially dangerous situations.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for the DRC.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the S. Embassy in Kinshasa, located at 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, at +243-081-225-5872 (Do not dial the zero when calling from abroad); the Consular Section at tel. +243-081-884-6859 or +243-081-884-4609 from Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. and Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 081-556-0151.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.