The U.S. Embassy has received reports of violent clashes and fighting between government forces and militia groups in and around the area of Uvira in South Kivu. As the security situation has degraded significantly around Uvira, the Embassy urges U.S. citizens to avoid travel to Uvira and exercise caution in all parts of South Kivu.
The U.S. Embassy advises U.S. citizens to remain aware of your surroundings and take appropriate steps to enhance personal security. U.S. citizens should review the Travel Warning for the DRC and remain alert for potentially dangerous situations.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for the DRC.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa, located at 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, at +243-081-225-5872 (Do not dial the zero when calling from abroad); the Consular Section at tel. +243-081-884-6859 or +243-081-884-4609 from Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. and Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 081-556-0151.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.