U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
December 29, 2017
The U.S. Embassy is aware of reports that opposition and civil society groups are calling for demonstrations on Sunday, December 31, throughout Kinshasa and other cities. The Embassy advises U.S. citizens to avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
U.S. citizens should review the Travel Warning for the DRC and remain alert for potentially dangerous situations.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for the DRC.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the S. Embassy in Kinshasa, located at 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, at +243-081-225-5872 (Do not dial the zero when calling from abroad); the Consular Section at tel. +243-081-884-6859 or +243-081-884-4609 from Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. and Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 081-556-0151.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook