Location: Goma, North Kivu Province, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Event: The U.S. Embassy advises U.S. citizens that there is a risk of a terrorist attack on an unspecified ferry departing from Goma, North Kivu Province, DRC.
The Travel Advisory for the DRC warns U.S. citizens against travel to North Kivu Province “due to crime, civil unrest, terrorism, armed conflict, and kidnapping.”
Actions to take:
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/westerners.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter