- Event: Embassy Kinshasa advises U.S. citizens to avoid the area around the Karibu Hotel in Goma. On April 30, individuals armed with machetes attempted to enter and occupy Karibu Hotel property. Local security authorities dispersed the individuals and reported no injuries. Reports say that this incident may be associated with a land dispute and the potential for renewed confrontation exists.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of the Karibu Hotel in Goma.
- Review the country page and remain alert for potentially dangerous situations.
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution and Country Specific Information for the DRC.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa, located at 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, the Consular Section at tel. +243-097-261-6144 or +243-097-261-6145 (Do not dial the zero when calling from abroad) from Monday-Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. and Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 081-556-0151.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.