Location: Goma, North Kivu Province, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: In addition to our current Travel Alert which advises U.S. citizens to not travel to the Eastern DRC region and North Kivu province. The U.S. Embassy Kinshasa cautions there are public reports of armed skirmishes that have reached to within a 12-mile vicinity of Goma. U.S. citizens are advised to exercise extreme caution and defer travel in and through Goma.
Actions to Take:
- Do not travel to the eastern DRC, including North Kivu Province.
- Read the Travel Advisory for the DRC.
- Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 808-363-951 or +243 815-560-151 (after hours and weekends).
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.