Location: Beni town, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa advises U.S. citizens that terrorist attacks are planned in Beni town in the near future. The Travel Advisory for the DRC warns U.S. citizens against travel to North Kivu Province “due to crime, civil unrest, terrorism, armed conflict, and kidnapping.”
Actions to Take:
- Do not travel to the eastern DRC, including North Kivu Province.
- Read the Travel Advisory for the DRC.
- Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.