Location: North Kivu Province, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa reports armed skirmishes and conflict have intensified in North Kivu Province as well as at the Rwanda border at Goma. U.S. citizens are advised to exercise extreme caution and defer travel in and through North Kivu Province, including the city of Goma. U.S. citizens are further advised that the hours of operation at the DRC-Rwanda border crossing at Goma may be variable and should be checked before attempting to cross.
Actions to Take:
- Do not travel to the eastern DRC, including North Kivu Province and Goma.
- Read the Travel Advisoryfor the DRC.
- Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Have a contingency plan in place that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Keep a low profile.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 808-363-951 or +243 815-560-151 (after hours and weekends).
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.