Location: Democratic Republic of the Congo
Event: Please be advised that on December 14, 2018, the U.S. government ordered the departure of non-emergency personnel and their families from the DRC. The U.S. Embassy strongly urges U.S. citizens to depart the country and take advantage of departing commercial flights. The U.S. Embassy’s ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in the DRC is severely limited, particularly outside of Kinshasa. Elections are scheduled to take place on December 23 and could trigger large-scale demonstrations which could further limit the services of consular staff even in Kinshasa.
Actions to Take:
- Make travel arrangements to depart the country.
- Ensure that your passport is current and that you have a valid visa for your onward destination.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile and notify friends and family of your safety.
- Review the country page and remain alert for potentially dangerous situations.
U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
(226) 97 261 6144 or (226) 97 261 6145
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444