Location: DRC, country wide
Event: As attacks, civil unrest, and other security incidents, including those criminal in nature, often take place without any warning, U.S. citizens in the DRC are strongly encouraged to maintain a high level of vigilance and practice good situational awareness.
Actions to Take:
- Stay alert in public places, including schools, hospitals, churches, tourist locations, and transportation hubs
- Review travel routes and times to reduce time and place predictability
- Keep a low profile
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Review your personal security plans
- Maintain a high level of vigilance and practice good situational awareness.
- Please see our Worldwide Caution.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Monitor local news and reports and maintain contact with the U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa.
- Review the country page and remain alert for potentially dangerous situations.
- U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa
+243-097-261-6144 or +243-097-261-6145
081-556-0151 (after-hours emergencies)
- State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs – 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Country Specific Information for the DRC.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.