Location: DRC, countrywide
Event: The government of the DRC shut down internet services on December 31 in the aftermath of the elections. Phone lines are still a functioning way of communication.
Actions to Take:
- Depart the country. Your departure plans should not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Ensure that your passport is current and that you have a valid visa for your onward destination.
- Notify friends and family of your safety, and develop an alternate communication strategy that does not rely on internet.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Remain alert for potentially dangerous situations.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates