Location: DRC, countrywide
Event: The government of the DRC has announced the closure of all land and maritime borders, exempting international airports, for the 24-hour period of the elections on December 30. The U.S. Embassy strongly urges U.S. citizens to depart the country and take advantage of departing commercial flights. The U.S. Embassy’s ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in the DRC is severely limited.
Actions to Take:
- Depart the country. Your departure plans should not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Ensure that your passport is current and that you have a valid visa for your onward destination.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Notify friends and family of your safety, and develop an alternate communication strategy.
- Remain alert for potentially dangerous situations.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
(243) 97 261 6144 or (243) 97 261 6145
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.