Location: DRC, country-wide
Event: The cancellation of elections in Beni, Butembo, and Yumbi, and the call for a country-wide ‘Ville Morte,’ or general strike, on December 28 could trigger spontaneous demonstrations and disruptions to transportation in some regions of the country. U.S. citizens are urged to avoid large crowds. U.S. government personnel are advised to remain home on Election Day, December 30.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid large crowds and possible demonstrations.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Notify friends and family of your safety, and develop an alternate communication strategy.
- Remain alert for potentially dangerous situations
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
(243) 97 261 6144 or (243) 97 261 6145
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.