- Event: Opposition parties are planning a large rally in Kinshasa today as part of DRC’s ongoing presidential campaign. There is strong potential for large crowds from late morning through this afternoon along the airport road and toward N’Djili. The Embassy urges U.S. citizens to avoid the area of N’Djili Airport and large crowds and demonstrations on the day of the election and the preceding days. The U.S. Embassy has also received reports of a possible closure of all land and maritime borders in the DRC from 12/22- 12/24, which could cause further congestion and crowds at border and maritime crossings. The U.S. Embassy has received reports that borders may close for 24 hours on 12/22 but that international flights will continue.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of N’Djili Airport due to large crowds and possible demonstrations.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Notify friends and family of your safety, and develop an alternate communication strategy.
- Review the country page and remain alert for potentially dangerous situations.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444