Subject: Security Alert: Goma, Butembo, Beni, and Sake, North Kivu Province; Uvira and Bukavu, South Kivu Province; and Bunia, Ituri Province; Democratic Republic of the Congo
Location: Goma, Butembo, Beni, and Sake, North Kivu Province; Uvira and Bukavu, South Kivu Province; and Bunia, Ituri Province; Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: Violent protests in Goma and Butembo, North Kivu province, have or may spread to other parts of eastern DRC, including Uvira, Bunia, Bukavu, Beni, and Sake. There are confirmed reports of violence and looting against United Nations facilities and personnel, which have the potential to spread to other NGOs and foreign institutions. Civilians and peacekeepers have been killed. These protests are expected to continue in the coming days and could further spread to other locations in the DRC.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise extreme caution and defer travel in and through Goma, Butembo, Sake, and Beni, North Kivu Province; Uvira and Bukavu, South Kivu Province; and Bunia, Ituri Province;
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 (0)808-363-951 or +243 (0)815-560-151/152 (after hours and weekends).
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.