Event: On December 14, 2018, the U.S. government ordered the departure of non-emergency personnel and their families from the DRC. Due to concerns about potential military checkpoints in Kinshasa, the U.S. Embassy will implement a daily curfew for the remaining U.S. government employees in the DRC. The curfew will begin December 19 from 1900-0600 and remain in effect until further notice.
Actions to Take:
- Depart the country. Your departure plans should not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Conduct outdoor activities during daylight hours only.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Notify friends and family of your safety, and develop an alternate communication strategy.
- Review the country page and remain alert for potentially dangerous situations.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
(243) 97 261 6144 or (243) 97 261 6145
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter