Location: North Kivu Province, South Kivu Province, Ituri Province, Democratic Republic of the Congo
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa discourages travel to Goma, Butembo, Beni, and Sake, North Kivu Province; Uvira and Bukavu, South Kivu Province; and Bunia, Ituri Province; Democratic Republic of the Congo due to recent attacks in the area. Starting July 25, protests against UN peacekeeping mission MONUSCO escalated into violence with several deaths. The U.S. Embassy does not allow personal travel by official Embassy personnel to the region and has restricted official travel to the region until further notice.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise extreme caution and defer travel in and through Goma, Butembo, Beni, and Sake, North Kivu Province; Uvira and Bukavu, South Kivu Province; and Bunia, Ituri Province.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 (0)808-363-951 or +243 (0)815-560-151/152 (after hours and weekends).
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.