Location: Eastern DRC and Border Regions, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: Clashes between the March 23 Movement armed group and the Congolese military are occurring in the East of the country, mostly recently in the town of Kibumba, approximately 20 kms northeast of the provincial capital of Goma, North Kivu. Due to the proximity of fighting to Goma, there is the possibility for escalating violence, and U.S. citizens are reminded that our Travel Advisory guidance remains at a Level 4: Do Not Travel to North Kivu Province.
Further combatant advances could occur with little warning, and roads to the airport and border risk being closed should the fighting approach Goma. Some non-governmental organizations in Goma have instructed their staff to shelter in place or to leave the city.
Actions to Take:
- Do not travel to the eastern DRC, including North Kivu Province.
- Read the Travel Advisory for the DRC.
- Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.
- Take advantage of commercial transportation options if you wish to depart the DRC.
- Be prepared to leave on short notice.
- Ensure your travel documents are valid and easy to locate.
- Keep a low profile as foreigners could be targets for violence or crime.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Have contingency plans to leave the area.
- Have a personal emergency plan that does not rely on U.S. government assistance as U.S. government travel to these areas is restricted.
- Keep a cell phone or other communication device charged and functioning with you.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.