Location: Goma, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: Seismic activity and tremors continue as a result of the May 22 eruption of Mount Nyiragongo. Remain vigilant, monitor local media, and follow instructions of local authorities.
Goma Airport remains closed until further notice per DRC Civil Aviation authorities. Ferries are operating as normal between Goma and Bukavu.
The border between Goma and Rwanda remains open at this time, but U.S. citizens may be restricted to remain in Gisenyi. U.S. citizens who crossed into Rwanda or have questions about reaching Kigali or other cities in Rwanda may contact ACSKigali@state.gov.
U.S. citizens in the area are encouraged to report their whereabouts and any requests for assistance to the U.S. Embassy at ACSKinshasa@state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media and official government channels.
- Follow instructions of local authorities.
- Do not go toward the volcano or areas affected by lava flows for photos or any reason.
- S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.