Location: Goma, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: Lava flows from the volcanic eruption of Mount Nyiragongo have reportedly stopped near Munigi just north of the Goma airport. There were reports of seismic activity during the night which are considered normal and expected.
Remain vigilant, monitor local media, and follow instructions of local authorities.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to report their whereabouts and any requests for assistance to the U.S. Embassy at ACSKinshasa@state.gov. U.S. citizens who crossed into Rwanda may contact ACSKigali@state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media and official government channels.
- Follow instructions of local authorities.
- Do not go toward the volcano or areas affected by lava flows.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.