Security Alert #2: Volcanic Eruption of Mount Nyiragongo, U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, DRC (May 22, 2021)
Location: Goma, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: Lava flows from the volcanic eruption of Mount Nyiragongo located north of Goma have expanded and shifted to a south/southeast direction moving toward the Goma airport and cities of Goma in the DRC and Gisenyi in Rwanda.
Those who are able to depart, should leave the city and are encouraged by authorities to head toward Sake. Follow instructions of authorities and monitor local media.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to report their whereabouts and any requests for assistance to the U.S. Embassy at ACSKinshasa@state.gov.
Actions to Take:
- Be prepared to depart.
- Monitor local media and official government channels.
- Follow instructions of local authorities.
- Do not go toward the volcano.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.