Health Alert: Upcoming Flights – U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, DRC (May 22, 2020)
Location: Goma, Kinshasa, and (tentative) Lubumbashi DRC
Event: Upcoming Flights Departing from Goma and Kinshasa
U.S. Embassy Kinshasa is aware of two upcoming flights departing DRC that can accommodate U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents (LPRs).
May 26: Goma and Kinshasa to Addis Ababa (organized by Jeffery Travel and Miles Travel)
May 30: Goma, Kinshasa, and (tentative) Lubumbashi to Addis Ababa (organized by Satguru Travel)
Update: Satguru Travel may add a stop in Lubumbashi on May 30th if there is enough interest. Contact the travel agency directly to book.
For both flights, connections are available in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to Washington, D.C. See note on transiting in Addis below.
Please book directly with the travel agency to secure seats. Tickets are first come, first served. These flights are NOT organized by U.S. Embassy Kinshasa.
If you wish to return to the United States, U.S. Embassy Kinshasa strongly urges you to book tickets now. There is no guarantee that additional flights will be available in the near future. We strongly encourage U.S. citizens and LPRs considering departing to book their tickets immediately.
To book your ticket, please call a travel agency:
Miles Travel (May 26)
+243 818 555 009 (Kinshasa)
+243 818 555 505 (Kinshasa)
1547 Immueble Taba Congo, Blvd du 30 Juin, Gombe, Kinshasa
Transiting in Addis
All air passengers planning to transit through Addis Ababa must have onward tickets in hand upon arrival at Bole International Airport or they risk being placed in extended quarantine in a designated hotel at their own expense. Transit passengers are also strongly advised to have their onward ticket be for a same-day connecting flight. Bole International Airport authorities are not allowing passengers to stay overnight in the airport. Transit passengers who do not have same-day connecting flights will be required to spend the night in a designated hotel at their own expense.
Under limited circumstances, the Department of State may offer loans to destitute U.S. citizens to facilitate repatriation. If you feel you might qualify for such a loan, please email KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov. Please note that this loan will require repayment, and loan recipients will not be allowed to renew their passport until the loan is repaid.
Check your U.S. Passport Validity
U.S. citizens should verify that their passports are valid for at least six months from the date of travel. For emergency American Citizen Services, including emergency passports, please contact ACSKinshasa@state.gov immediately.
Actions to Take
- Call travel agency to book your tickets on upcoming flight immediately.
- Verify your U.S. passport is unexpired and valid for at least six months from the date of travel. Contact ACSKinshasa@state.gov if you need an emergency passport.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the S. Embassy’s Medical Assistance page to find medical provider information in the DRC.
- Check with your airlines or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the DRC.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152.
- ACSKinshasa@state.gov for American Citizen Services (i.e. emergency passport)
- KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov for repatriation options and departure flight information
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.