Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Kinshasa (March 21, 2020)
Location: Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: The DRC Ministry of Health confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the DRC.
The government of DRC has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. All international passenger flights are suspended until at least April 3. Domestic DRC flights are still going at this time but may be impacted with little or no advance notice. Schools and universities are closed until April 17, sporting events, festivals, gatherings larger than 20 people have been banned, and bars and restaurants are closed until further notice. Markets and non-food stores in Kinshasa are ordered closed.
We are considering all options to assist U.S. citizens in DRC. Continue to monitor the U.S. Embassy’s website for updates. Email ACSKinshasa@state.gov if you have an urgent need to depart and would be interested in options to leave if they become available. For each member of your group, please include: (1) name as it appears on passport, (2) date of birth, (3) U.S. passport number, (4) telephone number and WhatsApp number, (5) current location, and (6) special medical or other considerations.
All U.S. citizens in DRC should continue to prepare by ensuring they have sufficient food, medicine, and supplies should they need to remain at home in DRC for an extended period of time.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
Effective March 17, U.S. Embassy Kinshasa has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information: https://cd.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/.
Many travelers worldwide have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Email ACSKinshasa@state.gov if you would be interested in departing DRC if an option becomes available.
- Visit the U.S. Embassy’s Medical Assistance page to find medical provider information in the DRC.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the DRC.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151 / 0152
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.