Location: Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: Lifting of Health-Related State of Emergency for DRC
The government of the DRC announced it will slowly relax the health-related State of Emergency that was put in place March 24 to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Beginning Wednesday, July 22, all shops, banks, restaurants, and bars are allowed to reopen, public transport can resume, and large gatherings are permitted. Schools and universities can reopen on August 3. Airports, ports, borders, domestic travel, and places of worship may resume on August 15.
Despite the lifting of the State of Emergency, routine services at the U.S. Embassy remain suspended until further notice. If you require an emergency consular service, such as a passport, please contact ACSKinshasa@state.gov for assistance.
Visit the DRC Ministry of Health COVID-19 website for updated information on the situation in the DRC. Visit the CDC website for information on symptoms and how to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
Actions to Take
- Consult the CDC websitefor the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your medical evacuation insurance on options should you fall ill.
- Visit the Embassy’s Medical Assistance page to find medical provider information in the DRC.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the DRC.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
- KinshasaUSCitizen@state.govor ACSKinshasa@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.