Location: Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: COVID-19 Health Measures in the DRC.
On June 15, 2021 the Democratic Republic of the Congo announced new steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19. This follows the announcement that DRC is suffering a “third wave” of COVID-19 infections.
- There is a curfew from 10:00 pm to 4:00 am. Military patrols and police enforce the curfew. Congolese and foreigners have been arrested for violating curfew.
- Masks are required in public indoor and outdoor spaces.
- Gatherings of more than 20 people are prohibited.
- Nightclubs and discotheques are currently closed.
- Temperature taking is required to enter markets, restaurants, and public buildings.
Businesses, schools, airports, and ports are open. While DRC permits borders open, many neighboring countries continue to restrict border crossings.
For information on entry/exit requirements, COVID testing locations, and vaccine availability in the DRC, please visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 webpage.
Local Health Information Resources:
- INRB COVID-19 Testing Website
- DRC Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 website
- DRC Ministry of Health Twitter
- Local health care providers
Actions to Take:
- Follow all local requirements. Contact the U.S. Embassy if you are arrested or detained for violating rules.
- Monitor the CDC website for latest guidance on COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your medical evacuation insurance on options should you fall ill overseas.
- Visit the Embassy’s Medical Assistance page to find medical provider information in the DRC.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the DRC.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
- KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov or ACSKinshasa@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.