Location: Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: COVID-19 Update & Status of Health-Related State of Emergency for DRC
State of Emergency in DRC: The government of the DRC is slowly relaxing the health-related State of Emergency that was put in place March 24 to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Shops, banks, restaurants, bars, and public transport reopened July 22. Schools and universities are allowed to reopen as of August 3. Airports, ports, borders and places of worship are expected to reopen on August 15.
Masks are still required in public spaces. There are reports of police enforcing this requirement in Kinshasa.
Entry and Exit Requirements: Commercial passenger flights remain suspended until August 15 and we are awaiting an official announcement of what entry and exit requirements will be. Continue to monitor DRC media and our website on COVID-19 as information becomes available. Check with your airline about COVID-19 safety measures, testing requirements, and requirements at your country of transfer and final destination. Visit the Department of Homeland Security website for information on U.S. arrival restrictions.
U.S. Embassy Services: Routine services at the U.S. Embassy remain suspended until further notice. If you require an emergency U.S. citizen consular service, such as a passport, please contact ACSKinshasa@state.gov for assistance and an appointment.
If you have an urgent need to depart DRC before regular commercial flights resume, please visit our website on COVID-19 and contact the travel agencies listed about flight options.
Notify the U.S. Embassy if a U.S. citizen is hospitalized with COVID-19 by emailing ACSKinshasa@state.gov.
Local Health Information Resources:
- The DRC government maintains a Twitter and Facebook account to share information about COVID-19 in DRC. You may follow these accounts or subscribe for daily updates.
- DRC Ministry of Health’s website.
- DRC Ministry of Health phone numbers: 101, 109, 110
- DRC Ministry of Health Twitter
- Local health care providers
Actions to Take:
- Visit the CDC website for information on symptoms and how to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your medical evacuation insurance on options should you fall ill.
- Visit the Embassy’s Medical Assistance page to find medical provider information in the DRC.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the DRC.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
- KinshasaUSCitizen@state.govor ACSKinshasa@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.