Location: Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: COVID-19 Update & DRC Entry / Exit Requirements
State of Emergency in DRC
The government of the DRC relaxed the health-related State of Emergency that was put in place March 24 to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Shops, banks, restaurants, bars, public transport, schools, universities, and places of worship are allowed to open. Airports, ports, and borders reopened August 15.
Masks are still required in public spaces. There are reports of police enforcing this requirement in Kinshasa.
DRC Entry and Exit Requirements
Entering the DRC:
- All incoming travelers must present a negative COVID-19 test result from within 72 hours of departing for the DRC.
- Upon arrival, travelers must follow safety protocols which include: use of masks, temperature checks, social distancing, use of disinfectant, and the completion of health information forms.
- All arriving travelers, regardless of the origin of their travel, are required to self-quarantine in a residence or hotel for 14 day upon arrival. The DRC Ministry of Health may monitor travelers during the quarantine period and request information. They may request travelers take an additional COVID-19 test after arrival.
- U.S. citizens should travel with proof of health and medical evacuation insurance. Check with your medical evacuation insurance company on options should you fall ill in the DRC.
- All travelers must present a World Health Organization (WHO) card with proof of yellow fever vaccination.
Provincial Travel and Exiting the DRC:
- Negative COVID-19 test results are required for departure flights from the DRC and for domestic commercial flights.
- Check with your airline about COVID-19 safety measures, testing requirements, and health requirements at your country of transfer and final destination.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security website for information on U.S. arrival restrictions.
COVID-19 testing is available at the following locations. (This list will be updated on the Embassy website on COVID-19.)
INRB (Official DRC Institute)
Address: Av. De la Democratie No 5345, Gombe, Kinshasa
Hospital Du Cinquantenaire (Official INRB testing site)
Phone: +243 844 430 396
Address: Ave Deliberation, Commune Kasavubu, Kinshasa
HJ Hospital (Private hospital)
Phone: +243 815 586 555
Address: 1ere rue Limete Industriel, 22309 Blvd Lumumba, Croisement TP, Limete, Kinshasa
CIMAK Hospital (Private hospital)
Phone: +243 975 039 633, +243 999 909 283
Address: 43, Ave La Frontiere, Quartier Katindo, Goma
Heal Africa Hospital (Private hospital)
Phone: +243 998 506 304, +243 813 132 342
Address: Ville de Goma, Commune de Goma, Rue Lyn LUSI, No 111
U.S. Embassy Services
Routine consular services at the U.S. Embassy remain suspended. If you require an emergency U.S. citizen consular service, such as a passport, please contact ACSKinshasa@state.gov for assistance and an appointment.
Notify the U.S. Embassy if a U.S. citizen is hospitalized with COVID-19 by emailing ACSKinshasa@state.gov.
Local Health Information Resources:
- The DRC government maintains a Twitter and Facebook account to share information about COVID-19 in DRC. You may follow these accounts or subscribe for daily updates.
- DRC Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 website
- DRC Ministry of Health phone numbers: 101, 109, 110 and WhatsApp +243 8443 4444
- DRC Ministry of Health Twitter
- Local health care providers
Actions to Take:
- Monitor DRC media and our website on COVID-19 as more information for travelers becomes available.
- Visit the CDC website for information on symptoms and how to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your medical evacuation insurance on options should you fall ill.
- Visit the Embassy’s Medical Assistance page to find medical provider information in the DRC.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the DRC.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
- KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov or ACSKinshasa@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.