Location: Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: DRC Presidential Decree of State of Emergency
The government of the DRC has declared a State of Emergency effective March 24 to limit the spread of COVID-19. All domestic passenger flights between Kinshasa and the provinces are suspended. The suspension of international passenger flights remains in effect. All road and river transport between Kinshasa and the provinces are suspended for passenger traffic. Goods transport will continue with control checkpoints at Kinshasa city limits. DRC National Police and military will patrol to ensure the new rules are followed. Schools and universities remain closed, sporting events and gatherings larger than 20 people are banned, bars and restaurants are closed until further notice and non-food stores in Kinshasa were ordered closed.
Visit the DRC Ministry of Health COVID-19 website for updated information on the situation in the DRC. Visit the CDC website for information on symptoms and how to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
If you believe you have been exposed to COVID-19 and have symptoms (fever, dry cough, difficulty breathing):
- Avoid contact with people.
- Contact your regular health care provider or the DRC Ministry of Health at 101, 109, 110.
- Notify the U.S. Embassy if a U.S. citizen is hospitalized with COVID-19 by emailing ACSKinshasa@state.gov.
The U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa is considering all options to assist U.S. citizens in DRC. We are compiling a list of persons seeking to leave DRC. If you would be interested in options to leave, please visit our website on COVID-19 and send the requested information to our email address: KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov.
Effective March 17, U.S. Embassy Kinshasa has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
Actions to Take
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the U.S. Embassy’s Medical Assistance page to find medical provider information in the DRC.
- Check with your airlines or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the DRC.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152.
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.