Location: Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: Special Commercial Flight to the United States
Note: This information will continue to be sent regularly for the benefit of new enrollees in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP.) The Embassy uses both KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov and ACSKinshasa@state.gov to send messages.
The U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa is exploring all options to assist U.S. citizens in the DRC. We are working to arrange a special commercial flight to Washington, D.C. within the next two weeks. If you are interested in options to leave, including a commercial flight to Washington, D.C., please send the following information for each member of your family to KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov. If you have already contacted us to express interest in departure options, please do not send your information again unless your location or circumstances have changed. Send to:
- Your full name as spelled in your passport (SURNAME, Given Name)
- Current phone number and WhatsApp number
- Email address
- Date of birth (MM/DD/YYYY)
- Passport number, date of issuance, date of expiration. If not a U.S. passport, please note country of issuance.
- Current location (city, country, hotel name if not in residence)
- Health condition and special considerations
- Number of U.S. citizens in your party. Please note any non-U.S. citizen immediate family members seeking to travel with you.
- DRC visa status (i.e. valid until MM/DD/YYYY)
- Employer or affiliation within DRC
Please attach a scan or photo of the bio-page of the passport and, if applicable, LPR card for each traveler.
If you are a non-U.S. citizen parent of a U.S. citizen minor, please indicate if the non-U.S. citizen parent has appropriate travel documentation to enter the U.S. (i.e. valid U.S. visa, valid LPR card). If the non-U.S. citizen parent does not have appropriate travel documentation, please identify an individual who currently has valid travel documentation for the U.S. who could accompany the U.S. citizen minor.
You will receive a response if and when travel options become available.
Upcoming Kinshasa Restrictions: The government of the DRC may impose a period of confinement in Kinshasa. All U.S. citizens in DRC should continue to prepare by ensuring they have sufficient food, medicine, and supplies should they need to remain at home in DRC for an extended period of time.
The government of the DRC has declared a State of Emergency effective March 24 to limit the spread of COVID-19. All domestic passenger flights between Kinshasa and the provinces are suspended. The suspension of international passenger flights remains in effect. All road and river transport between Kinshasa and the provinces are suspended for passenger traffic. Goods transport will continue with control checkpoints at Kinshasa city limits. DRC National Police and military will patrol to ensure the new rules are followed. Schools and universities remain closed, sporting events and gatherings larger than 20 people are banned, bars and restaurants are closed until further notice and non-food stores in Kinshasa were ordered closed.
Visit the DRC Ministry of Health COVID-19 website for updated information on the situation in the DRC. Visit the CDC website for information on symptoms and how to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
If you believe you have been exposed to COVID-19 and have symptoms (fever, dry cough, difficulty breathing):
- Avoid contact with people.
- Contact your health care provider or the DRC Ministry of Health at 101, 109, 110.
- Notify the U.S. Embassy if a U.S. citizen is hospitalized with COVID-19 by emailing ACSKinshasa@state.gov.
Note: This information will continue to be sent regularly for the benefit of new registrants in STEP. We will be sure to highlight any new information from previous emails.
Actions to Take
- Prepare for long periods of confinement. Maintain stocks of food, supplies, and medicine.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Embassy’s Medical Assistance page to find medical provider information in the DRC.
- Check with your airlines or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the DRC.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.