Location: Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: U.S. Citizens Requesting Assistance to Depart the DRC
The U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa is considering all options to assist U.S. citizens in DRC. All international passenger flights are suspended until at least April 3. Domestic DRC flights are still going at this time but may be stopped with little or no advance notice.
The U.S. Embassy is working to make seats available for U.S. citizens on a commercial flight from Kinshasa N’Djili airport to Washington Dulles Airport on the evening of Wednesday March 25 or Thursday, March 26 at a time to be determined. Please follow instructions below to express interest in this flight. U.S. citizens are responsible for their own cost of tickets which may range from $1500 to $2700 depending on the number of passengers. All passengers must have valid passports and documentation to enter the United States. Currently, this is the only way the Embassy can assist U.S. citizens to exit the DRC as international flights are suspended and borders are closed. There are no plans for future flights at this time.
We are compiling a list of persons seeking to leave DRC. If you would be interested in options to leave, including the flight on March 25/26, please send the following information for each member of your group to our email address: KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov.
- Your full name as spelled in your passport
- Current phone number and WhatsApp number
- Email address
- Date of birth (MM/DD/YYYY)
- Passport number, date of issuance, date of expiration. If not a U.S. passport, please note country of issuance.
- Current location (city, country, hotel name if not in residence)
- Health condition and special considerations
- Number of U.S. citizens in your party. Please note any non-U.S. citizen immediate family members seeking to travel with you.
- DRC visa status (i.e. valid until MM/DD/YYYY)
- Employer or affiliation within DRC
You will receive a response if and when travel options become available. In the meantime, please enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and updates from the U.S. Embassy Kinshasa.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
Effective March 17, U.S. Embassy Kinshasa has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please visit our website for additional information.
Actions to Take
- Visit the U.S. Embassy’s Medical Assistance page to find medical provider information in the DRC.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the DRC.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151 / 0152
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.