Location: Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: On March 16, the DRC Ministry of Health announced a fourth confirmed case of COVID-19 in the DRC.
The government of the DRC has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. All travelers entering the DRC at any point of entry (air, land, boat) are subject to health checks to include temperature checks. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice. All travelers arriving in the DRC who have been to China, France, Germany, Italy, Iran, South Korea, Iraq in the 14 days prior to their arrival in the DRC and show no specific symptoms related to COVID-19 will be required to self-quarantine. Travelers arriving who demonstrate specific symptoms related to COVID-19, including fever, fatigue, and dry cough, will be subject to testing and possible isolation. Visit the website of DRC Ministry of Health (in French) and review our Health Alert dated March 9 for additional information on these new measures and for DRC entry requirements.
Effective March 17, U.S. Embassy Kinshasa has suspended routine consular services until at least April 10. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please email ACSKinshasa@state.gov.
Many travelers have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 3 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
U.S. government personnel are advised to travel only for mission critical purposes and have the option to return to the United States if they are at higher risk of getting sick from COVID-19. U.S. government personnel in the DRC are advised to exercise social distancing, follow CDC guidance, and are ordered to follow DRC policies on self-quarantining.
The DRC Ministry of Health is contacting passengers who traveled aboard SN Brussels flight 359, Turkish Airlines flight 590, and Air France flight 736 on March 8. If you were aboard these flights and have not been contacted, contact your regular health care provider or the DRC Ministry of Health (in French)at 081-813-0199, 081-506-0554, 084-136-3176, or 085-200-2458.
Actions to Take
- Visit the U.S. Embassy’s Medical Assistance page to find medical provider information in the DRC.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the DRC.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe