Health Alert U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo (April 8, 2020)
Location: Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: Assistance to return home & 14-day Confinement Orders for Gombe, Kinshasa and Goma
The U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa is assisting U.S. citizens in DRC with all options to return home to the United States. We advise all U.S. citizens in Kinshasa to depart on the U.S. Embassy organized flight to Washington, D.C. on April 9. Visit our COVID-19 website and call the travel agency immediately to purchase a ticket.
If you are interested in options to leave from elsewhere in the country, please visit our website on COVID-19 and send the requested information to our email address: KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov. We will continue to send out flight options we learn of from Goma and Lubumbashi, in addition to Kinshasa.
KINSHASA: The government of Kinshasa has ordered that the Gombe neighborhood of Kinshasa be under a 14-day confinement from April 6 to April 20 to prevent the spread of COVID-19. It is possible the confinement order will be extended to other Kinshasa neighborhoods in the coming days or weeks.
Transportation to the airport for the April 9 flight will be provided by the travel agency and U.S. Embassy due to the confinement order. To arrange pick-up please call: 0890-019-624 or 0842-338-080.
The U.S. Embassy is located in the Gombe neighborhood and remains open for emergency U.S. citizen services by appointment only. Please email us at KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov immediately if you require an emergency passport or other assistance before the April 9 flight.
GOMA: The government also ordered that Goma be under a 14-day confinement period starting Monday April 6 to prevent the spread of COVID-19. U.S. citizens should prepare to remain in residences with proper supplies and continue to work with the Consular team to seek departure options from Goma.
Be aware that other parts of the country may institute similar measures with little or no advance notice. Monitor local media for updates on your area. Please inform us at KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov if you learn of lockdowns or confinement orders in your area that may affect other U.S. citizens. Please remain in contact with us as you seek options to depart.
The government of the DRC has declared a State of Emergency effective March 24 to limit the spread of COVID-19. All international passenger flights are suspended except for limited special commercial flights organized by embassies. All domestic passenger flights between Kinshasa and the provinces are suspended. All road and river transport between Kinshasa and the provinces are suspended for passenger traffic. Goods transport continues with control checkpoints at Kinshasa city limits. DRC National Police and military will patrol to ensure the new rules are followed. Schools and universities remain closed, sporting events and gatherings larger than 20 people are banned, bars and restaurants are closed until further notice and non-food stores in Kinshasa were ordered closed.
Visit the DRC Ministry of Health COVID-19 website for updated information on the situation in the DRC. Visit the CDC website for information on symptoms and how to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
Note: This information will continue to be sent regularly for the benefit of new registrants in STEP.
Actions to Take
- Seek opportunities to depart.
- Prepare for long periods of confinement. Maintain stocks of food, supplies, and medicine.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your medical evacuation insurance on options should you fall ill.
- Visit the Embassy’s Medical Assistance page to find medical provider information in the DRC.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the DRC.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa
Democratic Republic of the Congo
310 Avenue des Aviateurs
+243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.