Location: Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: Confinement Order for Gombe, Kinshasa
The government of Kinshasa will slowly relax the confinement order for the Gombe neighborhood of Kinshasa that was put in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Beginning Wednesday, April 22, businesses in Gombe providing essential goods and services may re-open to allow for people to provision themselves. Residents of Gombe will be allowed to move around in their neighborhoods but not leave Gombe. Everyone must wear a mask while in public. Those who do not wear masks may be fined. Checkpoints with temperature checks will continue.
The U.S. Embassy is located in the Gombe neighborhood and all routine ACS services remain suspended until further notice. If you require an emergency ACS service, such as a passport, please contact ACSKinshasa@state.gov for assistance.
Be aware that other parts of the country may institute similar measures with little or no advance notice. Monitor local media for updates on your area. Please inform us at KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov if you learn of lockdowns or confinement orders in your area that may affect other U.S. citizens.
If you are interested in options to depart DRC, please visit our website on COVID-19 and send the requested information to our email address: KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov. We will continue to send out options for flights departing DRC as we learn of them.
Visit the DRC Ministry of Health COVID-19 website for updated information on the situation in the DRC. Visit the CDC website for information on symptoms and how to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
Actions to Take
- Seek opportunities to depart.
- Prepare for long periods of confinement. Maintain stocks of food, supplies, and medicine.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your medical evacuation insurance on options should you fall ill.
- Visit the Embassy’s Medical Assistance page to find medical provider information in the DRC.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the DRC.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
- KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov or ACSKinshasa@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.