April 5, 2020
Location: Gombe, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: 14-day Confinement Orders for Gombe, Kinshasa and Goma Starting April 6
KINSHASA: The government of Kinshasa has ordered that the Gombe neighborhood of Kinshasa be under a 14-day confinement from April 6 to April 20 to prevent the spread of COVID-19. It is possible the confinement order will be extended to other Kinshasa neighborhoods in the coming days or weeks.
We advise all U.S. citizens in Kinshasa to depart on the U.S. Embassy-organized flight to Washington, D.C. on April 9. If you have not yet purchased a seat visit our COVID-19 website and contact us at KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov immediately. Transportation to the airport during the confinement will be provided.
The U.S. Embassy is located in the Gombe neighborhood and remains open for emergency U.S. citizen services by appointment only. Please email us at KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov immediately if you require an emergency passport or other assistance before the April 9 flight.
GOMA: The government also ordered that the city of Goma be under a 14-day confinement period starting Monday April 6 to prevent the spread of COVID-19. U.S. citizens should prepare to remain in residences with proper supplies and continue to work with the Consular team to seek departure options from Goma.
Be aware that other parts of the country may institute similar measures with little or no advance notice. Monitor local media for updates on your area. Please inform us at KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov if you learn of lockdowns or confinement orders in your area that may affect other U.S. citizens. Please remain in contact with us as you seek options to depart.
The government of the DRC has declared a State of Emergency effective March 24 to limit the spread of COVID-19. All international passenger flights are suspended except for limited special commercial flights organized by embassies. All domestic passenger flights between Kinshasa and the provinces are suspended. All road and river transport between Kinshasa and the provinces are suspended for passenger traffic. Goods transport continues with control checkpoints at Kinshasa city limits. DRC National Police and military will patrol to ensure the new rules are followed. Schools and universities remain closed, sporting events and gatherings larger than 20 people are banned, bars and restaurants are closed until further notice and non-food stores in Kinshasa were ordered closed.
Visit the DRC Ministry of Health COVID-19 website for updated information on the situation in the DRC. Visit the CDC website for information on symptoms and how to reduce your risk of getting COVID-19.
The U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa is considering all options to assist U.S. citizens in DRC. We are compiling a list of persons seeking to leave DRC. If you would be interested in options to leave, please visit our website on COVID-19 and send the requested information to our email address: KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov.
Note: This information will continue to be sent regularly for the benefit of new registrants in STEP. P
Actions to Take
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Embassy’s Medical Assistance page to find medical provider information in the DRC.
- Check with your medical evacuation insurance provider to see what options exist should you become ill in the DRC.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the DRC.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
- Embassy Website: https://cd.usembassy.gov/
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.