Health Alert: U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo (April 15, 2020)
Location: Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: New Departure Options – April 21 from Kinshasa and Lubumbashi, April 17 – 21 from Goma
The U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa will regularly update its COVID-19 Information webpage with information about flights departing DRC. Please check regularly for information and updates: https://cd.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
FROM KINSHASA and LUBUMBASHI
Satguru Travel is organizing a flight from Kinshasa and Lubumbashi to Addis on April 21. From Addis, travelers can continue to Newark (EWR) via London or to Chicago (ORD) via Frankfurt. Please call Satguru Travel immediately to purchase your ticket. Satguru Travel can assist with booking you onward travel from Addis to your final destination. This flight is NOT organized by U.S. Embassy Kinshasa. Details are being provided to assist U.S. citizens who wish to depart DRC.
Satguru Travel is organizing a flight from Goma to Addis between April 17 – 21. Connections are available to the United States via Europe. Please call Satguru Travel immediately to purchase your ticket. Satguru Travel can assist with booking you onward travel from Addis to your final destination.
Girish Buxani (Goma)
+243 970 971 034
Mr. Vinod (Bukavu)
+243 823 306 457
TRANSITING IN ADDIS
All air passengers planning to transit through Addis Ababa must have onward tickets in hand upon arrival at Bole International Airport or they risk being placed in extended quarantine in a designated hotel at their own expense.
Transit passengers are also strongly advised to have their onward ticket be for a same-day connecting flight. Bole International Airport authorities are not allowing passengers to stay overnight in the airport. Transit passengers who do not have same-day connecting flights will be required to spend the night in a designated hotel at their own expense.
For more information, please visit U.S. Embassy Addis Ababa’s website.
TRANSITING IN EUROPE
U.S. citizens, LPRs, and certain family members are exempt from U.S. travel restrictions on flights from Europe to the United States. Please check the Department of Homeland Security’s website for information on travel restrictions prior to travel.
Evacuation flights are often more expensive than commercial ones. Please ask friends and family to help you pay. The U.S. Government may be able to offer some U.S. citizens evacuation flight loans. To apply for such a loan, complete this form and email it to KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov. Be aware that this is a loan, which means you must repay it. You will not be allowed to renew your passport until you repay. The loan is only for U.S. citizens. U.S. lawful permanent residents (LPRs) must have a U.S. citizen fill out the form on their behalf.
Note: This information will continue to be sent regularly for the benefit of new registrants in STEP.
Actions to Take
- Seek opportunities to depart.
- Prepare for long periods of confinement. Maintain stocks of food, supplies, and medicine.
- Consult the CDC websitefor the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.govfor the latest information.
- Check with your medical evacuation insurance on options should you fall ill.
- Visit the Embassy’s Medical Assistance pageto find medical provider information in the DRC.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19for information on conditions in the DRC.
- Visit theDepartment of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends.)
- ACSKinshasa@state.gov or KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.