Location: Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: COVID-19 Update
As of May 6, the DRC has recorded 863 cases of COVID-19, including 36 deaths.
The government of Kinshasa relaxed the confinement order for the Gombe neighborhood of Kinshasa that was put in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Some businesses in Gombe providing essential goods and services are open. Gombe residents can move around their neighborhoods, but police checkpoints with temperature checks remain in place at the commune’s borders. People must wear masks in public or risk paying a fine.
The U.S. Embassy is located in the Gombe neighborhood and all routine American Citizen Services (ACS) appointments remain suspended until further notice. Email ACSKinshasa@state.gov if you need an emergency service such as a passport.
Other parts of the country may adopt restrictions with little or no advance notice. Monitor local media for updates on your area. Please inform us at KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov if you learn of restrictions in your area that may affect other U.S. citizens.
International and domestic flights are still suspended, with limited exceptions. If you want to leave DRC, visit our website on COVID-19 and email the requested information to KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov. We will communicate options for flights leaving DRC as we learn of them.
Visit the DRC Ministry of Health COVID-19 website for updated information on the situation in the DRC.
Visit the CDC website for information on symptoms and how to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
Actions to Take
- Seek opportunities to depart.
- Prepare for long periods of confinement. Maintain stocks of food, supplies, and medicine.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your medical evacuation insurance on options should you fall ill.
- Visit the Embassy’s Medical Assistance page to find medical provider information in the DRC.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the DRC.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
- KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov or ACSKinshasa@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.