Location: North Kivu and Ituri Provinces
Event: On August 1, 2018, the Ministry of Health of the Democratic Republic of Congo reported an outbreak of Ebola Virus Disease in North Kivu Province. Since then, a significant number of both confirmed and probable cases have been reported in nine health zones of Congo’s North Kivu and Ituri provinces.
Ebola is one of the hemorrhagic fever illnesses. The virus is transmitted through contact with infected blood, bodily fluids, and handling or washing of infected corpses or through contact with objects that have been in contact with infected secretions.
Actions to Take:
- Visit the CDC Travel Notice on Ebola in Democratic Republic of the Congo, which has information on this outbreak.
- Visit the CDC Travelers’ Health Page for the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which includes information on Ebola.
- See the State Department’s travel website and Country Specific Information for the DRC.
- Continue to take malaria prophylaxis as recommended, as the symptoms of malaria can mimic symptoms of Ebola, leading to preventable health scares.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo
(243) 97 261 6144 or (243) 97 261 6145
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information.
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.