Location: Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: As of March 4 at 11:59p.m. EST, all U.S.-bound passengers departing from the Democratic Republic of the Congo will be routed to one of the following designated airports: New York (JFK), Newark (EWR), Atlanta (ATL), Chicago (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), or Washington (IAD) for enhanced screening. The Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will apply new layers of screening at these six U.S. airports in response to the Ebola resurgence in North Kivu Province, which the DRC Ministry of Health declared on February 7, 2021. This applies to all passengers, including U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, and visa holders (to include Diplomatic and Official visas).
Please be prepared for flight changes or cancellations. All travelers are expected to also comply with pre-existing COVID-19 measures, including pre-departure testing, social distancing, and mask wearing.
Actions to take:
- For more information, please consult the CDC page.
- If you are planning to travel to the United States, contact your airline to confirm your flight and route.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter