November 3, 2020
Location: Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: DRC Entry / Exit Requirements – COVID-19 Testing at Kinshasa Airport
DRC updated entry and exit requirements to limit the spread of COVID-19. Incoming international passengers must now arrive with proof of a negative test and receive a COVID-19 test at Kinshasa’s N’djili Airport. COVID-19 tests are still required for departing travelers and domestic travelers.
Entering the DRC:
- All incoming travelers age 11 and older must present a negative COVID-19 PCR test result from the country of origin done within 7 days of arriving in the DRC. Airlines may require proof of the test before boarding the flight to the DRC. Note the test must be a PCR test, not a rapid antigens or antibodies test.
- Upon arrival, travelers age 11 and older are required to receive a COVID-19 test at Kinshasa’s N’djili airport.
- You must complete a registration form and pay online at the official DRC INRB site inrbcovid.com before starting your travel.
- Following the sample collection at the airport, passengers must self-quarantine until they receive a negative test result via the website and/or SMS, generally within 24 hours.
- The cost of the required test is US$45.
- Required safety protocols at all airports include: the use of masks, temperature checks, social distancing, use of disinfectant, and the completion of health information forms.
- All travelers must present a World Health Organization (WHO) card with proof of yellow fever vaccination.
- U.S. citizens should travel with proof of health and medical evacuation insurance. Check with your medical evacuation insurance company on options should you fall ill in the DRC.
Exiting the DRC:
- All passengers age 11 and older must present a negative COVID-19 test from the INRB, or a laboratory approved by the Ministry of Health, from within 3 days prior to departure. The cost of a test through the INRB is US$30. Visit inrbcovid.com for information on testing in the DRC.
- Check with your airline about COVID-19 safety measures, testing requirements, and health requirements at your country of transfer and final destination.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security website for information on U.S. arrival restrictions.
Domestic Interprovincial Travel:
- Negative COVID-19 test results are required for domestic interprovincial commercial flights departing from Kinshasa, Lubumbashi, Bukavu, Goma, and Kisangani. Where possible, the test must be taken within 7 days of travel.
- Check with your airline about COVID-19 safety measures, testing requirements, and health requirements at your final destination.
U.S. Embassy Services
The U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa is open for routine and emergency consular services for U.S. citizens. To make an appointment, visit our website. Contact us at ACSKinshasa@state.gov. Notify the U.S. Embassy if a U.S. citizen is hospitalized with COVID-19 by emailing ACSKinshasa@state.gov.
Local Health Information Resources:
- The DRC government maintains a Twitter and Facebook account to share information about COVID-19 in DRC. You may follow these accounts or subscribe for daily updates.
- INRB COVID-19 Testing Website
- DRC Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 website
- DRC Ministry of Health phone numbers: 101, 109, 110 and WhatsApp +243 8443 4444
- DRC Ministry of Health Twitter
- Local health care providers
Actions to Take:
- Visit the CDC website for information on symptoms and how to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your medical evacuation insurance on options should you fall ill overseas.
- Visit the Embassy’s Medical Assistance page to find medical provider information in the DRC.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in the DRC.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
- KinshasaUSCitizen@state.gov or ACSKinshasa@state.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.