The American Embassy in Kinshasa invites qualified candidates to apply for the Fulbright visiting scholar program. The recipient will be funded by the Fulbright program for a maximum of 1 year of research in an American university.
The program has led to thousands of researchers receiving the opportunity to establish professional contacts in their field and the chance to make lasting relationships with colleagues in the United States, to develop relationships of research in collaboration with U.S. researchers and to improve their scholarly publications and other contributions to the research conducted in the United States. For many teachers, the Fulbright Program offers the possibility of scholarship without interruption. In doing research, and pursuing other scientific interests, in a completely different environment, researchers return home personally and professionally invigorated.
What does the Fulbright scholarship offer?
- Allowance for a roundtrip international ticket;
- Settling Costs;
- A pre-academic program;
- A monthly living allowance of maintenance and funding for books and professional activities;
- Basic health insurance not including pre-existing conditions and pregnancy;
- Field work travel required by the program;
- Academic training.
Who can apply to this program?
The Fulbright scholarship is granted to all Congolese citizens living in the DRC that meet the following criteria:
- Be a Congolese citizen
- Have a good level in oral and written English. A test of TOEFL will be requested.
- Have a PhD. or equivalent training or professional experience at the time of the application.
- For professionals and artists outside the university environment, a recognized professional experience and important professional achievement is required.
- A detailed statement of the project of the proposed activity in a U.S. institution and it should contribute to the development of knowledge in your field and must be completed in three to 12 months.
This program does not support the following:
- Attend conferences
- End of PhD. Theses
- Travel and consultancy in different institutions, or medical clinic research involving contacts with patients
- To start a new application or continue an existing one, please visit Application Management at https://apply.iie.org/fvsp2021
Important: Steps to Follow when Applying
- At the time of application, you must submit the following documents: (a) Application form; (b) a detailed statement of the project; (c) a detailed resume; (d) Three letters of reference; (e) a letter of invitation from a U.S. university if possible and (f) a TOEFL test
- All documents should be written in English.
Any questions you have concerning the Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program should be directed to the U.S. Embassy by email at KinshasaExchange@state.gov.
***Important note: Employees and their immediate families (i.e., spouses and dependent children) of the U.S. Department of State and of public or private organizations under contract of the U.S. Department of State are ineligible to apply for Fulbright-Hayes grants until one year after termination of such employment or contract.***