The Congo American Language Institute (CALI) is the English language program of the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Since 1962, CALI provides quality English instruction to government officials, students preparing for studies abroad, and other professionals in the city of Kinshasa.
CALI offers a six-level program of English instruction: beginner to advanced classes. A certificate is given upon successful completion of level 6 (upper-advanced). These courses are offered on an intensive basis. There are four sessions a year with two-week breaks between sessions (see dates below).
Intensive courses meet five times a week, 10 hours a week for a total of 100 hours. Intensive courses cost $245.00 USD, including 2 books and a CD.
For students who have completed Level 6 or are advanced English speakers, CALI offers the following courses:
The TOEFL Preparation Class meets 5 days a week for a total of 100 hours of instruction; its cost is $220.00. The other advanced courses mentioned above meet twice a week for a total of 50 hours per session and cost $100.00.
In addition to courses on-site, CALI also offers courses to businesses on their own premises. Presently, CALI provides both on and off-site courses for several local and international companies, government agencies, the United Nations and NGO’s.
CALI also continues to offer a number of English training outreach programs targeting under-served populations, called the Access Microscholarship Programs, and runs developmental events for teachers and other education professionals throughout DRC.
One of CALI’s major assets is the dedication and expertise of its staff. The majority of the staff has been with CALI for at least 8 years. Furthermore, 52% of the teaching staff holds PhDs or Masters from US or European universities. The others hold MA and BA degrees from the DRC or other countries. All have extensive ESL/EFL experience.
CALI serves as an important bridge between the cultures of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the United States. The institute has an average of 1,200 students per session, and several high-ranking government officials and businessmen are graduates of CALI.
2018 Course schedule
1. First Session :
- Registration : December 1 to 22, 2017
- Placement Test : December 18 to 22, 2017
- Beginning of the session: January 9, 2018
- End of the session: Thursday, March 22, 2018
- Graduation: Saturday, March 31, 2018
2. Second Session :
- Registration: March 1 to 22, 2018
- Placement Test: March 13 to 30, 2018
- Beginning of the session: April 2, 2018
- End of the session: June 13, 2018
- Graduation: June 23, 2018
3. Third Session :
- Registration: June 1 to 22, 2018
- Placement Test: June 13 to 22, 2018
- Beginning of the session(Adults/High school graders 12-17): July 2, 2018
- End of the session (High School graders): August 31, 2018 (+ 2 hours make-up classes to take place to on Saturdays July 14, 21, 28 and August 4, 11, 18 and 25, 2018)
- End of the session (Adults): September 12, 2018
- Graduation: September 22, 2018 (Adults)
4. Fourth Session :
- Registration: September 4 to 21, 2018
- Placement test: September 13 to 21, 2018
- Beginning of the session: October 1, 2018
- End of the session: December 12, 2018
- Graduation: December 22, 2018
For general information about English courses please contact: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
For information about English courses for companies please contact: email@example.com
For advice about studies in the United States: Open Mondays – Fridays: KinEdadvisor@state.gov
- firstname.lastname@example.org Edith Bawn, Director of CALI
- email@example.com Flavien Kanika, Off-site Program Coordinator
- firstname.lastname@example.org Nelly Kazadi, Receptionist and Registration Clerk
- 097 – 261 – 6123
- 097 – 261 – 6122
- 097 – 261 – 6139
374, Avenue Col. Mondjiba
Kinshasa, Ngaliema, DR Congo