The Congo American Language Center (CALI), one of U.S. Embassy Kinshasa’s English Language Programs, has moved locations! All CALI classes will now be held at the American Corner at Université Protestant du Congo and the Muhammad Ali American Corner at Bibliothèque Urbaine de Kinshasa in Limete.
Registration for the third CALI session of 2018 is now open! See details below and visit www.calidrc.com to register.
Next CALI Session:
- Registration: July 5-24, 2018 (online registration)
- Beginning of the adult and youth (ages 12-17) sessions: July 23, 2018
- TOEFL Diagnostic Testing July 23-24, 2018
- Placement Test: July 23-25, 2018
- End of the adult sessions: September 29, 2018
- End of youth sessions: TBD* based on alternate schedules to accommodate regular school.
- Graduation ceremony (all students who have finished level 6): October 13, 2018
* Youth students will be offered alternate schedules to complete classes when regular school resumes.
Future 2018 Sessions:
- Registration: September 4 to 21, 2018
- Placement test: September 13 to 21, 2018
- Beginning of the session: October 1, 2018
- End of the session: December 12, 2018
- Graduation: December 22, 2018
CALI is an English Language Program of the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Since 1962, CALI has provided quality English instruction to government officials, students preparing for studies abroad, and other professionals in the city of Kinshasa.
CALI offers a six-level program of English instruction: beginner to advanced classes. Students graduate from CALI after successful completion of level 6. CALI offers four sessions of intenvisve courses per year. Intensive courses meet five times a week, 10 hours a week for a total of 100 hours. Each session of intensive courses cost $245 USD, including 2 books and a CD.
For students who have completed or test out of level 6 (advanced English speakers), CALI offers the following courses:
- Business English
- Advanced Conversation
- TOEFL Preparation
The TOEFL Preparation Class meets 5 days a week for a total of 100 hours of instruction; its cost is $220.00. The other advanced courses mentioned above meet twice a week for a total of 50 hours per session and cost $100.00.
In addition to courses on-site, CALI also offers courses to businesses on their own premises. Presently, CALI provides both on and off-site courses for several local and international companies, government agencies, the United Nations and NGO’s.
CALI also continues to offer a number of English training outreach programs targeting under-served populations, called the Access Microscholarship Programs, and runs developmental events for teachers and other education professionals throughout DRC.
CALI serves as an important bridge between the cultures of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the United States. The institute has an average of 1,850 students per session, and several high-ranking government officials and businessmen are graduates of CALI.
Please write to KinEnglishPrograms@state.gov for more information on CALI.