Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo (26 November 2019)
Location: Goma, Beni and Butembo
Event: Demonstrations are ongoing in the cities of Goma, Beni and Butembo. Some roads are blocked by protesters and crowds have gathered at MONUSCO locations. Police and security forces are deployed in the cities and have fired shots to disperse crowds. There is an ongoing risk of further protests.
U.S. government personnel in the cities are advised to shelter in place and not travel on the streets during protests.
Actions to Take:
- Seek secure shelter and remain indoors during protests.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo: +243 81-556-0151/152
- State Department – Consular Affairs: +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.