Demonstration Alert: Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) 7 October 2023
Location: CENI Headquarters on Boulevard 30 Juin, Gombe District, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa is aware of a current political gathering at the Commission Electorale Nationale Independante (CENI) headquarters currently taking place on Boulevard du 30 Juin. There is a large presence of both police and military personnel. Expect crowds and security personnel to remain for a period of time. Traffic is extremely difficult at the moment.
Actions to Take:
- U.S. citizens are reminded that demonstrations have the potential to turn violent with little-to-no warning, and they are advised to avoid large gatherings, protests, and affected areas.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747or +1 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.