Event: Possible demonstrations are planned for Saturday, May 13, 2023, beginning at 10:00 a.m. Routes proposed by demonstration organizers include the route to the airport, areas around the Martyrs Stadium, and the area around Sakombi, but are subject to change. Increased traffic and police presence are likely. U.S. citizens are reminded that demonstrations have the potential to turn violent with little to no warning and are advised to avoid large gatherings, protests, and affected areas.
Actions to take:
- Avoid the area.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
- State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter