Location: Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa is aware of a potential gathering of political opposition leaders planned for Saturday, June 17th at the Sainte-Therese football field, located off the N1 Airport Road near N’Djili Aiport (FIH) in Kinshasa. Reports indicate demonstrations may occur on and along the N1 tomorrow. U.S. Citizens in Kinshasa should expect to see an increased police presence and heavy traffic near the demonstration locations.
Actions to Take:
- U.S. citizens are reminded that demonstrations have the potential to turn violent with little to no warning, and they are advised to avoid large gatherings, protests, and affected areas.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.