Location: Kinshasa and South Kivu Province, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC)
Event: The U.S. Embassy Kinshasa has received reports of a potential civil society demonstration on Wednesday, November 2, 2022, at 9:00 AM starting at the Stade des Martyrs which will end at the U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa.
We have also received reports that a protest is planned for Wednesday, November 2, 2022 in South Kivu along this route: Bagira-Kasha-Brasserie-Place de l’independence et Major Vangu- Round Point ESP- Gouvernorat du Sud Kivu.
U.S. Citizens are advised to avoid these areas as there could be roadblocks, heavy traffic, and increased police presence.
Actions to Take:
- U.S. citizens are reminded that demonstrations have the potential to turn violent with little to no warning, and they are advised to avoid large gatherings, protests, and affected areas.
- Avoid crowds and demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 310 Avenue des Aviateurs, Kinshasa/Gombe, +243 81-556-0151/0152 or +243-972-616-193 (after hours and weekends).
State Department – Consular Affairs +1 888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.