Ask a COVID-19 Question
Last updated: 02/24/21
*** Effective January 26, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel. Alternatively, travelers to the U.S. may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
- There is a nationwide curfew in the DRC each evening from 9 pm to 5 am. Masks are required in public spaces. Businesses, schools, airports, and ports are open. While DRC permits borders open, many neighboring countries continue to restrict border crossings.
- Are PCR tests available for U.S. citizens in DRC? Yes
- If so, are test results reliably available within 72 hours? Yes
- COVID-19 testing is available in DRC at the traveler’s expense. Options include:
- INRB(Official DRC Institute), Email: Info@INRB.net, Address: Av. De la Democratie No 5345, Gombe, Kinshasa. (Batetela Building, 1st floor; Intersection of Avenue Batetela and Boulevard du 30 Juin. Search for “Pharmacie 30 Juin” on Google Maps. They are located in the same building.)
No appointment required, cost $45, you must follow this process:
- Go to inrbcovid.comto register online.
- During registration scan and upload a copy of a travel document (passport) and the airline tickets.
- Upon registration you will receive a confirmation ID that will be used to pay at the Testing Center and then get tested.
- Results are only available in person, 24 hours after testing.
- Hospital Du Cinquantenaire(Official INRB testing site), Phone: +243 844 430 396, Address: Ave Deliberation, Commune Kasavubu, Kinshasa
- H&J Hospitals (Private hospital, home and office visits)
H&J Testing location in Gombe (office visit): Pullman Kinshasa Grand Hotel
4 Avenue Batetela, 9535, Price: $55, Call: 099-138 3675 to make the appointment. Then, via WhatsApp to that number, provide a copy of your passport bio, email address and phone number. *
Results generally 24 hours later.
H&J Testing location in Limete (main hospital): 1st Street Limete Industrial, 22309, Boulevard Lumumba. Price: $55, To Make an Appointment: Tel: 0813 531 861; Email: HJ POC Abhishek Kapoor at email@example.com. Wait times vary depending on the number of people being tested that day. *
Provide a copy of your passport bio, email address and phone number.
Result: the same day if testing performed before 12 pm
H& J Home Visit: To Make an Appointment: Tel: 0813 531 861; Email: HJ POC Abhishek Kapoor at firstname.lastname@example.org.*, A copy of passport along with your email and contact information is needed to confirm the appointment. Price: $55 + $40 for convenience fees. Result: the same day if testing performed before 10 am
- Centre Medical Diamant (CMD), by Appointment at CMD (no home visits). Address: 2366 Colonel Monjiba, Ngaliema (II Mercato Business center building). To make an appointment: Email CMD at email@example.com (English or French) or call them at #0907 777 780 (French only).* Results and Certificate expected via email. Consult CMD for current processing time, which varies from 24-48 hours. Cost: $70
- All airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel. Alternatively, travelers to the U.S. may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
- For information on limited humanitarian exemptions to the U.S. requirement, please review the following page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-testing-required-us-entry.html
- Humanitarian exemptions to this order will be granted on an extremely limited basis and will only be considered when the country of departure lacks adequate COVID-19 testing capacity.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Has the government of DRC approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? No
- The United States Government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
- Information from the CDC regarding COVID-19 vaccination.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- Is a negative COVID-19 test required for entry? Yes
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
- Is a negative COVID-19 test required for departure? Yes
- DRC Requirements:
- All arriving international travelers age 11 and older must arrive with proof of a negative COVID-19 test from within 3 days of their departure to DRC. Upon arrival, travelers age 11 and older must also submit to a COVID-19 test at the airport. Travelers should register their information and pay for the test at INRBCOVID.com before they start their travel. The cost of the required test is US$45 which can be paid in U.S. cash at the airport. Following the sample collection at the airport, passengers must self-quarantine until they receive a negative test result via the website and/or SMS, generally within 24 hours.
- All travelers must present a World Health Organization (WHO) card with proof of yellow fever vaccination.
- U.S. citizens should travel with proof of health and medical evacuation insurance. Check with your medical evacuation insurance company on options should you fall ill in the DRC.
- To exit the DRC, all passengers age 11 and older must present a negative COVID-19 test from the INRB or a laboratory approved by the Ministry of Health, from within 3 days prior to departure. The cost of the test through the INRB is US$30. Visit INRBCOVID.com for information on testing in the DRC.
- Is a curfew in place? Yes
- A nationwide curfew is in place each evening from 9 pm to 5 am.
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Domestic travelers age 11 and older are required to present a negative COVID-19 test for travel between the provinces when departing from Kinshasa, Lubumbashi, Bukavu, Goma, and Kisangani. Where possible, the test must be taken within 7 days of travel.
- Check with your airline about COVID-19 safety measures, testing requirements, and health requirements at your destination.
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No
- Travelers entering the DRC, regardless of the origin of their travel, are not required to quarantine so long as they show a negative COVID-19 test taken within 7 days of departure from their point of origin and receive a negative COVID-19 test upon arrival. Following the sample collection at the airport, travelers must self-quarantine until they receive a negative test result, generally within 24 hours.
- The DRC Ministry of Health may monitor travelers upon arrival, request information, and order self-quarantine, or isolation if a traveler tests positive for COVID-19.
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes
- Is public transportation operating? Yes
- Masks are required in public, including on public transportation and at all airports.
- Routine and emergency consular services, including passport and notary service, are available for U.S. citizens at the U.S. Embassy in Kinshasa. Schedule an appointment through our ACS Appointment System. Contact ACSKinshasa@state.gov for assistance.
- Routine visa services are available, but remain limited. Monitor our visa page to make an appointment and for updated information. If you believe you have an emergency need for a non-immigrant visa to travel to the United States, please make an appointment and request an emergency visa appointment. Further information and frequently asked questions are available on our appointment website.
- The DRC government maintains a Twitter and Facebook account to share information about COVID-19 in DRC. You may follow these accounts or subscribe for daily updates.
- INRB COVID-19 Testing Website
- DRC Ministry of Health’s COVID-19 website
- DRC Ministry of Health phone numbers: 101, 109, 110 and WhatsApp +243 8443 4444
- DRC Ministry of Health Twitter
- Local health care providers
- Other links:
- COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov
- CDC page on COVID-19
- Democratic Republic of Congo Country Information